Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Imagine-ALTSPACE Exhibition


















Imagine: to dream up, conceive

“The unknown Utah that some see as a home for used razor blades, toxins, and biological warfare, is a landscape of imagination, a secret we tell to those who keep it.”
         -Terry Tempest Williams, Refuge

I love spending time in the vast Utah landscape.  The world suddenly becomes simple, natural, and pure.  Everything disappears but the sound of my breathing.  It clears my mind, invigorates my soul, takes my worries and leaves me with a desire to create.

This is why I choose to shoot my photographs outside.  I believe art is a combination of control and serendipity.  Using the landscape allows me to do this.  I like the idea of making something out of nothing and working with what I have.

I love using the natural lighting of the sun.  You never quite know what to expect.  It can give even the simplest of things a moment of glory; it’s all about catching those moments.

I used models to give my photos a story-like feel, a sense of mystery and wonder, but I leave it up to the viewer to finish it.  What you leave out is sometimes just as important as what you include.

I would like to give a special recognition to my roommates who modeled for me.  Even if they weren’t in the photo they all contributed in different ways.  This project wouldn’t have been possible without them.

By Jennifer Seeley


No comments:

Post a Comment