Monday, February 24, 2014

Connecting Home and School Experiences

I've always been a create little being.  I started when I was very young. I made paper collages with stickers, glue, and pretty much whatever I could get my hands on.  As I got a little older I started making what I called "clay figures", mostly tiny animals made of clay you could bake and harder.  People were always amaze at the intricacy of them.  The list goes on and on, but you get the idea.  When I walk into a craft store like Hobby Lobby or Micheal's I'm flooded with memories of all the things I have tried.  Through this I learned to love creation and this is what my discipline is all about.
Hopefully all the knowledge I have obtained by doing these things will help me to be a better teacher.  I can see myself resorting back to things that I had the best experiences with, but I will try to mix it up and try things that I didn't like for two reasons.  1- To give it a fair shot and hopefully change my own negative perceptions that I could have gotten from previous teachers.  2- Not all my students will be like-minded.  It is up to me to introduce things and let them form their own opinions.

1 comment:

  1. That's great that your parents fostered your love of creativity from a young age. I wonder...did they provide you with models? For instance, where did you learn that you could buy certain types of clay that would enable you to make certain types of animal figures? I think you must have gotten it somewhere, and that would be great if you could recreate the same conditions that caused you to love art in your own classroom. Thanks for your posting. :)

    ReplyDelete