Sunday, April 20, 2014

Final Blog # 5

I would really like to incorporate literacy into my content area through a variety of mediums in order to reach the most modalities of learning as possible.   For my final project I further explored digital texts.  My natural instinct is to avoid technology, but I think digital literacy can really reach the students.  I'm going to be a little creative in how I incorporate comprehension.  The most obvious think people usually think of is reading comprehension, but with art you are looking at a painting more often than a reading (that could be argued, I know).  I want to teach students how to comprehend and interpret visual texts.  I think the best way to learn is through pictures so I would pair vocabulary terms with pictures to help students understand and remember.  Oral language is very important in critiques.  I might first have students write down what they are thinking to get them started and then have them share.  As far as writing texts, I think it could help students to see an example of good writing in my discipline.  I for one, always benefit from seeing a good example.  The nice thing about art is it is a universal language.  I think it helps with language barriers, but I could definitely think of ways to accommodate these students.  I would be sure to check with them individually after class instruction has been given.  Digital technologies can be incorporated through Photoshop, illustrator, indesign, ect.  There are lots of art mediums based on technology.  I want my students to see lots of examples of art history.  I would incorporate these texts (visuals and writing)  into my lesson plans.  Overall I think this class can relate to my discipline in many ways.

2 comments:

  1. I liked your comment that you will be focusing on the interpretation of visual texts (art) more than written texts. Although I think both are important, you are right in the sense that you really want to engage with the works themselves as primary sources in your discipline. I think before, during, and after activities can help students understand ART as well as PRINT. Thanks for your final posting. You are truly an example of an art teacher who lives her passion, and not just talks about it. You'll be a great role model to your students in this way.

    ReplyDelete