Monday, April 21, 2014

Extended Digital text

I went through the process of creating two video demos which I had never done before.  The most interesting to me was the screenshot.  It was really cool to see how I could record what I did on my screen and share it with others.  The easiest way to do it is through this website  http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/.  For the most part I think these methods of creating instruction were pretty fool proof.  Figuring out how to get the screen cast uploaded was a little tricky because I didn't have a YouTube channel.  I had to create one and then connect it to screen cast.  I can see this being a little tricky for students as well since you have to download the program first.  Once you have those things figured out it's really easy.  The regular video was pretty straight forward.  These things could be beneficial for students to watch.  It could be on the class blog for them to look at.

I think these little demo videos would be a great thing for students to create because when you teach something it reinforces it in your brain.  You have to know it to teach it.  Then they can share them with the other students in the class.

They could also create visual narrative art videos using the both the screen cast and normal video method.  They could make little animations on the screen and narrate it with their own voices.

There are many possibilities with video recording.  They could make 6 second videos (kind of like vine videos that are really popular right now) about an issue in art to share with the class.  It could be funny or serious.  I can see students putting a lot of personality into these.  They could record whatever they wanted as long as it was applicable to the topic and made sense.

I would help them by providing links and instructions on how to do the screen cast since it is a little tricky if you haven't done it before.  We could go through the process in class.  As far as the video it might be a good idea to create a little video in class to get their minds going  and help them feel more comfortable about doing it on their own.

I imagine that evaluation would mostly be based on participation and completion of the assignment, but a rubric with specific criteria would be helpful.  As long as they met the requirements them they would get credit for the assignment.

Here are my examples of the videos I created.

Screenshot Picasa Demo

Video Watercolor Demo




3 comments:

  1. Beautiful demos! You are modeling the idea of "teacher as writer" through making your own text before asking students to make theirs. I used to be a very shy student and might have been hesitant to make a video for others to see, but I would have felt more comfortable if I saw the teachers make videos too. I was just talking to a high school student a few days ago who was telling me about how everybody was using Vine, and I agree with you that this type of assignment would tap into students' outside interests by being very similar to Vine. Thanks for the great demos and the reflection on how you would use them in your classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time, try My Screen Recorder Pro. It is an excellent screencast tool. Records your screen and audio from the speakers or your voice from the microphone - or both simultaneously. The recordings are clear and look great when played back on your PC or uploaded to YouTube. It will record directly to AVI, WMV, MP4, or FLV. Just perfect for creating tutorials, demos, and presentations. Plus, java is not required and there are no limits on recording length. Also, the recordings play back on any device.

    ReplyDelete